Install Music On Hold Messages On PBX Phone System
A PBX or Key system is a telephone system that brings all phone extensions to one central control box. Some popular PBX or Key phone brands include Nortel (Norstar Meridian), NEC, Avaya, Mitel and Toshiba. All phones in a PBX system connect back to a "central control box" where a digital music on hold player can introduce streaming music and messages that callers hear when placed on hold. When a call is placed on hold, the PBX phone system sends that caller to the "hold bus", an electronic circuit that may or may not have music on hold plugged in. We recommend a professional music on hold player that will provide a 24-7 stream of audio into the PBX hold input.
How to replace the music on hold on your PBX phone system
Do you have music on hold right now? With a PBX phone system, you will hear music on hold from:
- A device such as a music on hold player that is streaming music and messages through the MOH input into your phone system: Easy On Hold can supply a new audio production that can be used with on hold players that take .mp3 or audio CD inputs.
- An internal audio file is loaded into your phone system and serves as the source of the on-hold audio:Easy On Hold can work with your telephone technician or vendor to be sure that you receive new audio content in the file format that is appropriate for your phone system.
- It is possible that you have an music on hold device that cannot be supported due to audio file format or other proprietary condition. Please use the Question Form to ask an expert for help and advice.
Do you have silence on hold right now?
Your phone system may not be "music on hold ready".
- Check to see if you have an input on your PBX phone system labelled "MOH" which stands for "music on hold"
- If you do have an MOH jack, you will need to check to see if it is "active". Most PBX phone systems have three "music on hold states": On - Off - Beep Tone. Your phone system may require programming.
- If you do not have an MOH jack, one can be installed by a reputable telephone technician with music on hold experience. In the case of Nortel (Norstar, Meridian) and similar brand phones, often we see that the music on hold jack is not present. Contact a reputable telephone technician are request that a music on hold input be "punched down" or attached to the connection block in your telephone room. If possible, it is always best to speak with the technician or firm that installed your phone system.
Easy On Hold is not responsible for the performance, installation or operation of equipment we do not sell. Articles about equipment are for educational purposes only and do not constitute an endorsement of any make or brand. Easy On Hold makes no claims or warranties regarding telephone equipment of any kind.