Avoid Corporate Speak In On Hold Messages
The sound of a phone ringing is amazingly similar to the sound of opportunity knocking. If a potential customer gave you 30 seconds to say anything you want, would you take that time to make yourself sound smart? Or would you want to show them a direct path to success with your solution?
- abandoned (silence on hold)
- cornered (high-pressure sales pitch)
- unimportant (music with no communication included)
- insulted (“your call is important to us…”)
- patronized (corporate speak in on hold messages)
Elwood Said It Best
In the delightful 1950 movie Harvey, starring James Steward as Elwood P. Dowd, provides a worthwhile bit of advice:
“‘In this world, Elwood… you must be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant…’ I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.”
People prefer pleasant, especially on the phone!
Example of Corporate Speak in On Hold Messages
At the genesis of any systems integration, one of the most salient challenges is the constant need to upgrade technology. Therefore, in an ongoing effort to become a more efficient and relevant organization, we have assumed a leadership position in the industry, to assure you that your trust and confidence shall not be misplaced.
One thing you can always count on: technology continues to change. When you choose to to business with us, you can be sure the technology and tools we offer are up to date.
Avoid Jargon in On Hold Messages
There are many lists of business-talk “watch-words” to be avoided. For example, Forbes Magazine published an article based on The Most Annoying, Pretentious And Useless Business Jargon.
- bleeding edge
- core competency
- best practice
Forbes says, “all that meaningless business jargon makes you sound like a complete moron.”
Here are a few sources to learn more about great On Hold Messages from Easy On Hold:
- On Hold Messages That Work
- Marketing Messages They Can’t Ignore
- 5 Winning Topics For On Hold Messages
- What NOT To Say In Your Messages On Hold
Latest posts by Tim Brown (see all)
- Messages On Hold Deliver Fewer Hangups, Better Branding - September 19, 2019
- Hold Music or Voice? - May 16, 2019
- New Pet Music Service For Vet Practices Works Wonders - May 1, 2019